11/26/2009

MHL Future Stars: Valeri Nichushkin

MHL Hockey is proud to present Valeri Nichushkin. Average fans never heard his name, but trainers and experts are already familiar with the Chelyabinsk talent's surname.  

An impressive size compared with his age, good technique and a great sniper talent make him a great forward, even if still very young. The 14 years old will play this year with one year older boys in Traktor-94 team. It looks like he outgrew his co-aged, in all senses. MHL Hockey offers you a translation of Valeri's interview with Olesya Uslova.

- You are a true recordman. Tell us about your achievements.

- I've beaten the record for points scored in the Ural – Western Siberia region with 127, 87 goals and 40 assists.

- And who was the holder of the precedent record?

-It was set three years ago by Metallurg-92's Daniil Apalkov.

- They congratulated with you? Any special celebration?

- No, I've just reading something on some local newspaper. And all.

- How could you score so many goals?

- I don't know. I've tried playing my way. My team mates helped me too.

- How did you play in the precedent season?

- I've spent half year with Ak Bars Kazan, in that half season I scored 70 points.

- And which zone is harder to play in? Volga Region or Ural-Western Siberia?

- The Ural one is harder.

- Do you think you'll be able to beat your own record this year?

- I'll try. But this season the aim is to reach the national finals. I'll try to score as much as possible to help my team. My aim for this season is to become a better team player.

- Tell us how you arrived to hockey. Did your parents bring you?

- Yes, through some people they knew. They brought me to the Traktor school.

- And did you like hockey since the first day or did you have some troubles?

- I could skate well. Then all started to work and so I started liking it and then I've started playing seriously.

- Who was your first coach?

- Viktor Nikolaevich Vetshev. He left Traktor-95 only one year ago.

- Did you start playing as forward?

- Yes.

- And how old were you, when for the first time your sniper talent reached a noticeable status?

- I was 9 or 10, when I started playing in tournaments.

- And in those tournaments you were the top scorer?

- Sometimes I didn't break the top-three, but I always got some award. Almost in every tournament I got player of the match honors.

- And which prizes they usually presented?

- Cups. When I was a child usually caps or jerseys. Even sticks.

- Is this what drives you to score a lot?

- No, I don't think about that when I am on the ice. But there were games in which I was saying to myself “I have to score, score” and all I got is that I couldn't score at all.

- What's your record for most goals scored in one game?

- This year, eight. Earlier, I don't remember...more than ten I think.

- Which is the goal you remember the best?

- When I used to play for Ak Bars we participated to the Nicklas Lidstrom tournament, in Sweden. There I scored the game winning goal on the overtime, and we won the match and the tournament.

- How did you move to Ak Bars?

- They invited me. I came.

- Do you like how is it going with Traktor?

- Now all is good. I play with the team one year older than me. I'm satisfied about everything: the coach, the team mates...

- Will you play the whole season with Traktor-94?

- Yes.

- Is it more interesting to play with the 94 team?

- Yes, it's more intense.

- And for you the 95 is boring already?

- No, why? It's interesting there too. You get more chances, it's easier to score. With 94 it's more important to play as a team, playing individually is harder.

- Do you often try to win games alone?

- I used to do so. Now it depends on the game's moment. If I see a team mate open, I give him the puck, if he's not open then I try to do things by myself.

- Are you the team's tallest player?

- No, Alexei Filippov is taller than me. He's 190, I'm 189.

- Where does this come from? Parents?

- Maybe from my father, he's 190.

- Do you think you'll further grow?

- I think I'll grow taller, but the most important thing is to get some mass.

- Do you plan becoming a pro?

- I'm trying hard. It's my aim.

- Do you have a sport dream?

- To win the Gagarin Cup.

- With which team?

- Anyone.

- For example with Traktor?

- The important is to reach the first team within the next two years.

- Do you think about the NHL?

- No, not for now. I want to get something in Russia.

- Do you dream about the national team?

- Yes, I want to get this year already into the 94 national team. I'll try hard, maybe they'll call me.

- For example, you look the WC on the television and dream about being yourself a member of team Russia?

- Exactly. Any kid dreams about getting into the national team.

- Which are your favorite players?

- I like Alexander Ovechkin, his character and how he points the net. Sidney Crosby, he is an intelligent player, Jaromir Jagr, despite his age he's a great player. And I like many other players.

- Do you try to imitate them in something?

- Especially in shoot-outs. I often look them and then I try to replicate during the trainings.

- And who's the best shoot-out taker?

- Sidney Crosby, I like his technique a lot.

- Did you ever suffer from serious injuries?

- In Kazan I started getting some little trouble with knees. They almost decided to send me back to Chelyabinsk. Then I met Traktor's main doctor Vadim Chupa, he gave me some exercises to do and all was better.

- Have you been in many Russian cities?

- Yes, I've been to many of them. Usually during the season I spend more time traveling than at home.

- And have you been abroad too?

- In the Czech Republic, in Sweden. I liked a lot Sweden. It was a good trip, the tournament was great. It's beautiful down there. We went by bus to St. Petersburg, then to Finland and we got to Sweden after a further trip by boat, that lasted one night. That New year eve was really fun. The houses were beautiful and there wasn't trash on the streets.

- Aren't you scared not to be able to play into men hockey?

- Sometimes, but I try not to think about that. I train and give the hundred percent during games. And for now I never got any abatement.

- Do you have other activities outside of hockey? Any other passion?

- No, basically only hockey.

- Do you have a non-hockey dream?

- Not yet. I have to finish the school and get into the university.

- And what will you study there?

- I don't know, haven't thought yet. I absolutely need the highest education, hockey doesn't last forever.

Final note: After 10 games played, Valeri has 16 points in 10 games, with 11 goals. Of course he's his team's top scorer and among the league's top contributors.

No comments:

Post a Comment